We are a gathered community of people from across the Peninsula. Our style of worship is middle-of-the-road Anglican, so we take seriously both the sacraments and the scriptures. Careful use may be made of music, song, liturgical action, symbol, visual art or poetry to deepen our awareness of the riches of our faith and its meaning for each person. Spiritual journeys are usually life-long and include how we relate to each other, creation, as well as the Divine. Whatever your beliefs, age, race, or gender identity, you will be welcome here. And we have fun!
Red Hill District was a community of orchardists, plus mixed and dairy farmers when, in the late 1940s, the residents were keen to establish a Church of England. The nearest churches were in the parish of Flinders: St Mark’s Balnarring or St John’s Flinders. Through their efforts church services began early in 1949 at the Red Hill Hall led by the Vicar of Flinders.
In 1951 the Red Hill Consolidated School opened and several small schools including No.1301 – Red Hill were closed. After much negotiation and fund raising the two schoolrooms of No.1301 became St George’s Anglican Church, Red Hill, which was dedicated by the Archbishop of Melbourne, 29th October 1955.
When the Uniting Church was formed, the Main Ridge Methodist church building was donated to St George’s. The building was relocated and erected next to the old school. It was dedicated on the 21st October 1979.
In 1988 St George’s was separated from the Parish of Flinders and a new parish of St Mark’s, Dromana/St George’s Red Hill was created. In 2010 this combined parish was dissolved and St George’s became a parish in its own right.
In 2012 St George’s received a generous donation, conditional on the parishioners matching it. As a result, St George’s now comprises an air conditioned and accessible building comprising the lovely church of locally-hewn timber which overlooks the Red Hill countryside, a refurbished hall with open fireplaces and kitchen (previously the school rooms), and other useful rooms and meeting areas. It is a testament to the efforts of faithful pioneers, parishioners and friends down through the decades to this present day.
More recently, the Red Hill area comprises vineyards, artists galleries, small holdings, orchards and more. The parishioners of St George’s are a gathered community from across the Mornington Peninsula.
T Kendall, with acknowledgement to ‘History of St George’s, Red Hill – 50 Years’, by Marian Prossor – 30th October 2005.
How to Find Us?
201 Arthurs Seat Road, Red Hill, VIC, 3937
Melways Ref: 190 H4